Keyport Firefighting


By Tom Gallo, Tim Regan, Jim McTernan, Keyport Fire Museum

The Keyport Fire Department was created by necessity in the aftermath of the great fire of 1877, which destroyed half of the town’s business center and brought the bustling early port settlement to a grinding halt. As the town was being rebuilt, citizens acted to ensure that fire would never again spread uncontrollably.

By 1907, seven fire companies formed to provide hose, engine, ladder, and fire police services, with equipment drawn by hand or horses. The department’s equipment and firefighting techniques evolved with time and technology.

Keyport Firefighting chronicles more than 130 years of the firefighting men and women who lived, worked, and volunteered their services for their hometown in an effort to preserve life and property.




Bookmark and Share

About the Authors:
Tom Gallo, Tim Regan, and Jim McTernan, lifelong friends and Keyport firefighters, worked together to compile images of the individual fire companies and their supporters. The Keyport Fire Museum Association and Education Center has become the first museum of its kind in Monmouth County and a public repository for firefighting artifacts, images, and education. The authors’ proceeds from this publication will help benefit the museum’s continuation.

SpecificationsArcadia Publishing, 2009
6" x 9" softcover
128 pages, hundreds of B&W photos
ISBN: 9780738563619

Related Items: