For more than 129 years, the firefighters of the Monterey Fire Department have provided outstanding service to the people of Monterey, California.
The department has protected the community since 1882, when the first brigade was a handful of citizens armed with buckets and axes.
The Civilian Conservation Corps was instrumental in constructing fire towers during the 1930s and 1940s.
In 2010, a total of 64 firefighters responded to 6,233 calls.
This book is dedicated to the memory of Monterey’s firefighters, who have all served valiantly.
He spent hundreds of hours obtaining photographs, collecting data, and listening to the stories of fellow firefighters like Capt. Harry Shaw, who was the first engineer in the department. All articles and photographs found in this book have been donated to the local library.