NFPA 1142: Standard on Water Supplies for Suburban and Rural Fire Fighting, 2017 Edition
The 2017 edition of NFPA 1142: Standard on Water Supplies for Suburban and Rural Fire Fighting is your guide to providing adequate and reliable water supplies.
In every community, fire protection depends on the availability of sufficient water supplies. Where no in-ground hydrant system exists -- or the system is inadequate -- public safety demands compliance with the latest edition of NFPA 1142: Standard on Water Supplies for Suburban and Rural Fire Fighting.
NFPA 1142 identifies minimum standards to assist rural and suburban fire departments and city planners in developing sufficient water supplies. It provides methods for determining water supply requirements based on occupancy and construction classifications, and also includes information regarding apparatus construction for water tankers.
Revisions in this edition assist stakeholders at every level, from city planners and developers, to fire departments, AHJs, and Code verifiers. Changes include:
- New text addressing alternative methods and modifications to the Standard helps civil engineers and AHJs understand requirements and verify compliance with the Standard's intent.
- New text addressing unit and formula consistency helps keep fire departments and AHJs on the same page.
- Added text for alternative water supplies from storage tanks. For compliance with NFPA 1142, storage tanks must be inspected and maintained to the 2017 edition of NFPA 25: Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems. Requirements mandate that water supplies for fire protection must be established before combustibles are brought to the site location.
- New references direct users to the Verisk Analytics (ISO) website for fire flow requirements. To help ensure consistency, significant text and tables relative to fire flow requirements have been removed from this edition of the Standard.
- New Annex J covers Geospatial Support for Water Supply Planning.
Update now and help ensure the latest fire protection standard for rural and communities.
8" x 11" softcover