Springfield Firefighting

$19.99
Bert D. Johanson, Nancy B. Johanson, Fred Rodriquez

The history of the Springfield Fire Department dates back to 1792 when the first hand pumper, Lion, was purchased. On January 24, 1794, a fire club with 50 members, all prominent citizens of the city, was organized.

Fire districts were established in 1830 by an act passed by the Massachusetts legislature. By 1833, Springfield officially organized a fire department, and like the fire club, the new volunteer department consisted of prominent members of the community.

The fire department changed from volunteer to paid in 1872. The volunteers then formed the Springfield Veteran Firemanís Association. After 1872, the department made great strides, especially in the area of apparatus.

In 1906, Springfield entered the motorized age with the introduction of a Knox squad truck, and by 1916, Springfield became the first fully motorized fire department in the United States.

BS7935
Qty:
Bookmark and Share
About The Authors: Bert D. and Nancy B. Johanson compiled this history from the archives of the Connecticut Fire Museum in East Windsor and from descendants of Noah Pooler, who served as a captain on the Springfield Fire Department. They were assisted by Fred Rodriguez, a 29year veteran of the Springfield Fire Department.
SpecificationsArcadia Publishing, 2007
6" x 9" softcover
128 pages, hundreds of B&W photos
ISBN: 0738550116

Related Items: