Strategic & Tactical Considerations on the Fireground, 4/e
James P Smith
For fire science Strategy & Tactics courses, for professional development of firefighters and fire officers, and for use in preparing for promotional examinations by company officers and chief officers.
Blending research and over 40 years of personal experience in the field, Strategic and Tactical Considerations on the Fireground, Fourth Edition, draws on author Chief Smith’s career operating in one of the largest fire departments in the United States. This authoritative text covers strategic decisions as well as tactical operations, guiding readers through the process of problem identification and solution response.
From planning to incident scene control, this text exposes readers to almost every possible tactical scenario and provides knowledge that can be applied to a variety of complex fire situations. The Fourth Edition is updated and expanded to include information that addresses evolving fire service operational approaches.
Offers a lifetime of real experience for readers to apply in their firefighting career.
- Draws on author, Chief James P. Smith, 41 years’ of experience in a large metropolitan fire department as a firefighter and fire officer who achieved every civil service rank and held the highest rank of deputy chief for over 20 years.
- Content is informed by Chief Smith’s 30+ years of classroom experience to students throughout the United States.
- Follows FESHE Course Objectives and Outcomes and written to relative NFPA Standards.
- Offers a consistent approach that discusses strategic decisions as well as tactical operations.
- Uses easy-to-understand understood language to discuss what needs to be accomplished for safe and successful operations.
- Contains systems that prepare a firefighter for handling a wide variety of situations on the fireground.
- UPDATED: Includes On Scene stories—encapsulated real-life scenes that allow readers to share the author’s experiences as well as significant incidents that have occurred in other locales. These real-life occurrences permit readers to increase their cue-based decision-making skills, skills normally accumulated through training or during actual situations at an incident scene.
SpecificationsPearson Education / Brady, 2017
8 1/2" x 11" hardcover